Pages

Sunday, July 27, 2008

No Bake Cookies Recipe

This recipe is for my son, Daniel. I don't know why he doesn't save it ~ he just keeps texting me to ask me to email it. This was my mom's recipe, complete with the Ozark redneck/hillbilly way of making sure it turns out every time!

Ingredients:
2 cups sugar
1/4 cup butter (or 1/2 stick butter)
1/4 cup cocoa
1/2 cup milk
2 cups oats
1/2 cup peanut butter ~ plus some (I round off my peanut butter, so I'm actually using quite a bit more)
1 tsp. vanilla

Mix sugar, butter, cocoa and milk in a heavy saucepan (a thin saucepan can cause scorching). Bring to a rolling boil ~ here's the redneck/hillbilly part of this recipe ~ boil for 1 minute and 30 seconds, preferrably counted as "one-one thousand, two-one thousand, three-one thousand...." all the way to ninety-one thousand ~ sounds silly, but mine turns out great every time doing this.

Remove from burner and add peanut butter (remember to round off your measuring cup when measuring out 1/2 cup!) and oats ~ mix, then add the vanilla and mix some more.

Drop by spoonfuls onto waxed paper ~ or my favorite way, to add an extra buttery taste is to smear butter all over aluminum foil and drop by spoonfuls onto the foil.

Let the cookies set until they cool and enjoy! I like them best when they're still slightly warm.

*******NOTE: I read Prevention Magazines latest article on the top 10 foods to help trim your tummy. Lo and behold, peanut butter and cocoa were on the list! Hmmmmm.......so, that makes these cookies, kinda sorta have some healthy benefits??? Well, I am lactose intolerant and I'm always trying to put soy milk in my recipes, just to see if it works. Tonight, I made half a batch of these cookies using Silk Vanilla Soy milk and Smart Balance Omega 3/Extra Virgin Olive Oil butter - guess what??? IT WORKED!!! They were DELICIOUS! My hubby ate 4 of them before they were even cooled off if that tells you anything!

Look at pics of making this recipe using healthy ingredients!
 
Sugar, Cocao, Smart Balance Butter and Silk Vanilla Soy Milk in heavy saucepan

 
Above ingredients in a 'rolling boil' - 1 min and 30 sec - or counting like stated above (yes, I counted)

 
Adding oats and peanut butter when first ingredients are done boiling - I add the vanilla after mixing this up, and then mix again

 
Mixed again after adding vanilla

 
I dropped by spoonfuls on aluminum foil coated with butter - again, Smart Balance (see pic), because it gives the cookies a little more buttery flavor

No comments: