Pages

Sunday, July 27, 2008

Old Fashion Chocolate Gravy Recipe

My grandmother passed this recipe on to my mom and we had it quite often growing up. I used to fix this for my kids and it was always one of their favorites.

Think of it as a chocolate 'sauce' to put over biscuts instead of 'gravy'.

Ingredients:
2 Tbsp. cocoa
4 Tbsp. sugar
2 Tbsp. flour
2 1/2 cups milk
1 tsp. vanilla

Bring 2 cups milk to a slow boil, stirring constantly so it doesn't scorch ~ this is a great 'job' for an older child who wants to help you in the kitchen.

Mix cocoa, sugar, flour and 1/2 cup milk in a bowl and mix well - the cocoa sits on top of the milk, so you'll need to 'beat' it a little.

Pour this mixture into the boiling milk and turn the heat down ~ stir until it thickens ~ this is another great job for an older child, as this takes a little while to thicken. It will be the consistency of a sauce instead of a gravy, so it won't get real thick.

Remove from stove and add vanilla ~ mix.

Serve over biscuts ~ enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so thankful you shared this recipe. My father used to make this for us as a special treat and we loved it. I've talked about chocolate gravy for years with my friends, but could never find the recipe. Now my children will be able to enjoy it as well. Thank you!