Pages

Sunday, July 27, 2008

Mom's Meatloaf Recipe

This recipe used to be on the back of Quaker Oatmeal boxes and was the one my mom always used ~ when I grew up and had a family, it's the one I used (and continue to use) exclusively. It always gets rave reviews!

Ingredients:
1 pound hamburger (preferrably lean ;)
1 cup tomato JUICE (can get this in individual cans in the juice section of your grocery store)
1 1/4 cup oats
1 egg ~ beaten
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Mix all of the ingredients into a bowl ~ I wash my hands and mix by using both hands and squeezing and squishing all ingredients together. (I always saw my mom do this and thought it was the only way ~ obviously it isn't, but it works great).

Pat ingredients into a casserole dish. Note: I used a square glass casserole dish so that it gets done in the middle - sometimes in a loaf pan, the middle is to thick and the meatloaf isn't quite done

I pour a drizzle of extra tomato juice over the top of my meatloaf prior to baking.

Bake at 350 degrees for about an hour - check to see if it's done in the middle and bake slightly longer if it needs it. If you spoon some of the drippings over the meatloaf as it's baking, it keeps it moist on the edges.

Enjoy!

No comments: